Care Tips

TAKING CARE OF YOUR SILVER

About 925 Sterling Silver

This designation refers to jewellery that contains at least 92.5% silver. The remaining 7.5% is copper, which gives the silver the required strength for jewellery-making. Magnolia sterling silver jewellery is quality-assured to verify that the amount of  pure silver used in each item is 92.5%. The 925 stamp found on each piece indicates the quality of the silver and its compliance with international standards.

Tarnishing in Silver Jewellery

Tarnishing is a natural process that occurs in silver as a result of oxidation. You may find that in summer your jewellery tarnishes faster due to the acidity of perspiration and the humidity in the air. You can clean your Magnolia jewellery with a special detergent for sterling silver jewellery or with a jewellery cleaning cloth (available for purchase at all Magnolia branches). Alternatively, you can go to any of Magnolia's branches and for a minimal cost have your jewellery sent out for a professional cleaning.

Caring for Sterling Silver Jewellery

Keeping your sterling silver jewellery shiny and glistening does not take much effort. We recommend the following:  

  • Regularly clean your jewellery with a special silver cleaning cloth (available for purchase at Magnolia branches).
  • Shower with your jewellery on - yes, on! Soapy running water keeps the jewellery clean and prevents it from tarnishing.
  • Do not wear your jewellery in the ocean or swimming pools. Both salt water and chlorine are damaging to silver.
  • When you are not wearing your jewellery, keep it in a jewellery box, a closed drawer or a small bag.
  • It is recommended not to keep multiple items in one bag as excessive movement may cause the items to mark or damage the settings and stones.
  • Keep your jewellery away from chemical substances (including domestic cleaners, lotions and perfumes) that can damage silver.